Springtime, Shedding Pets and Selling Your Home
Spring is a wonderful season. I love the warmer weather, the green grass, the lush full trees and the blooms that fill the gardens. My family loves to get outdoors and walk, bike, swim, play, etc.
One thing about spring that I don't enjoy is the shedding of my pets' hair. Springtime is when many dog and cat breeds shed their winter coats to prepare for the heat. With four cats and a thick, long haired dog.... You better believe we suffer from a few hairballs and a nice fur coat on our furniture.
Some of the ways we deal with the Shedding will be really important to remember if you are trying to sell your home...Hope some of these ideas help. The chores may get a little tedious, but remember, Spring shedding season typically only lasts for a few weeks.
- Brush your pets as much as possible. For cats and dogs with longer hair, use a mat rake for best results.
- Give fido and fifi a haircut (or schedule a day at the groomer for them) to Really cut down on the shedding. I gotta say, My dog looks really goofy after I am done with her, but she prances around proudly and I can tell she feels much better with less hair and I feel much better with fewer hairballs rolling around on my floor.
- Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum and then Vacuum again....Everyday. Twice a day if you are selling your house. To help with pet odors, you can now buy vacuum cleaner bags with Febreeze....They make a big difference.
- Sweep daily and wipe down counter tops and other smooth services DAILY.
- Don't forget to vacuum the sofas too (If your animals relax there). Rubber gloves will also help...just put them on and rub your hands over fabric furniture to catch the hair.
- Use a lint roller for tough to get areas....I use one on lamp shades, curtains (will need to be cleaned thoroughly after shedding stops), etc. You can also use packing tape and reach the same goal.
Remember, while some pets shed all year, the worst of it will be over in just a few short weeks, and then you can relax a little.