Just a Few Things to Remember When you move!
I can speak from experience on a couple of these items, and some of them may seem like common sense, but Moving can be stressful, and I think we all now how stress affects our memories. Of course, we always remember to call the Electric Company, the Phone Company, etc. Most of us will remember to fill out that handy dandy Change of Address Form. We remember to bring our pets along (I hope so, anyway), but does everyone remember to get a copy of their pets medical records prior to a move?
When my husband and I moved from Florida to North Carolina a few years ago, we were already in South Carolina before we realized the garage door opener on the visor of the SUV. OOPS! Fortunately, we knew the mailing address of the new owner (it had been ours for years) and were able to ship it to them, along with spare keys we found in the console of the car (another oops).
Another thing we didn't think about was bringing along a telephone book from our old town. We lived out of suitcases for five weeks in a condo while waiting to close on our new home. We didn't have our computer (the old dinosaur desktop), and we were constantly in need of numbers or addresses. Had we thought to pack the good ol' yellow pages, things would have been much simpler for us.
With any move, there are a lot of things to remember, but when moving out of town/state, it is even more important to remember a few important things that will make your new life easier in the future.
- So, You remembered the pets....Don't forget to pick up a copy of their medical records and refill any medications they need for the first few weeks. If you have cats, you may want to talk to your veterinarian about Tranquilizers for the trip.... Cats don't typically travel very well.
- Don't forget to pick up a copy of your own medical records. If you see a specialist, talk to them about a referral to a specialist in your new area. I arrived in North Carolina without an Endocrinologist, and had to call my old doctor to refer me before I could get an appointment!
- Don't forget to leave the garage door opener and all spare keys. Make sure you get the copy from the neighbor, your best friend, from under the door mat, from the console of your car!
- Of course, you'll remember to fill out a change of address form, but don't forget to notify everyone with your new address also. The US Postal Service will only forward your mail for so long, and they will not forward Magazine Subscriptions at all. Unless you want to give the new owners the gift of TV Guide, notify the publication companies.
- Remember that wedding dress you dropped off at the cleaners 3 weeks ago? Don't forget to pick that up before leaving town. While you are out, go ahead and pick up your watch that was at the jewelers for repair too.
- If you have a checking account, go ahead and stop by your bank. Order new checks with the new address on them. Many businesses will not except out of town checks, and believe it or not.... some places still do not except debit cards! When we first arrived in our new town, we went out for breakfast at a Country Diner. No cash on hand, and they wouldn't accept a debit card. We lucked out, because they didn't mind taking an out of town check..... Otherwise, we would have been doing dishes!
- Don't forget to cancel your gym membership, local chamber membership, refill all your prescriptions, pick up your church membership information and a copy of your child's school records. If you have hired a moving company, pack a suitcase with enough to live on for a week...just in case!