October 2011 on the NC Coast!
Summer on the NC Coast is fabulous. Spending hours at the beach, watching the surfers and the tourists, Morehead City Marlins Baseball Games, Picniks, Sailing, Fishing, Hangin' out at the Cape, Shack Attacks..... Did I mention the beach!?
But..... When it starts getting a little cooler outside and we can open the windows and enjoy the fresh autumn breezes, I am a happy camper! I love fall anywhere, but I especially love fall on the Crystal Coast of North Carolina. Sure the changing colors of the leaves is refreshing, the cooler air is a nice break from the heat, but there are so many fun & wonderful things to do this time of year and the temps outside are just right. Below, I have listed just a few of my favorite things to do in October on the Crystal Coast.
- North Carolina Seafood Festival - Every year, on the first weekend of October, more than 150,000 folks visit the Morehead City Waterfront for the Largest Festival in NC (as of this year due to the fact that the number rose to 200,000). Sorry, you missed the NC Seafood Festival this year, but go ahead and mark your calendars for next year!
- Mullet Festival - The Mullet Festival takes place in Swansboro, NC and will be held this weekend, October 8th - 9th..... Don't miss out on a fabulous time. If you have never been to Swansboro, you're in for a real treat. Lovely historical Homes & buildings, antique shopping, gorgeous views from just about every direction and a wonderful, friendly, small town feel! During the festival, along with the Mullet Fry, you will enjoy race cars, live music, games for the kids and much more.
- The Lobster Festival - Every Year in the middle of October, St. Francis by the Sea Episcopal Church in Salter Path, NC hosts the Lobster Festival. 1-2 pound lobsters, delivered fresh from Maine, all the best side dishes, homemade desserts (they are yummy), and of course, great company. Last year more than 1100 Lobsters found their way in & out of St. Francis by the Sea, and this years projection is over 1300. If you haven't gotten your tickets yet, give me a call before you miss out! This year's festival is on October 15th, and takes place at St. Francis by the Sea from 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm.
- Discover Divings Annual Treasure Hunt - On Saturday, October 15th, Discovery Diving presnts its annual Treasure hunt. The event benefits the Diver's Alert Network and Mile of Hope Children's Cancer Event. For more information call (252) 728-2265 or visit their website at www.discoverydiving.com.
- The Annual Surf Fishing Workshop - Each year, the NC Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores holds a Surf Fishing Workshop. Instruction covers rods, reels, weights, line, tackle, knots, bait, fish identification, cast netting, reading the surf and much more. Dates for 2011 are October 16th-18th. For cost, registration and more information, visit www.ncaquariums.com.
- Fall Festival & Bazaar - On October 22nd, from 8 am - 1 pm, you can enjoy a farmer's market, delicious baked goods, games for the kids, hand crafted items and artwork by Local Artists. This fabulous & fun fall event is sponsored by the Ann Street United Methodist Women and is a great place to find gifts for everyone on your list.... get your Christmas shopping done early. You may just find a thing or two for yourself while there. The event takes place at 500 Ann Street in Historic Beaufort, NC.
- Carolina Kite Festival - Head on down to the Atlantic Beach Circle on October 29th - 30th. The Carolina Kite Festival features kites from around the world, and many from the Crystal Coast. This event could not happen without the wonderful folks of Kites Unlimited, and includes Team Flying, and kite building for the kids along with a candy drop.
- Friendly Market - The Friendly Market turns into an Autumn Wonderland each October. Pumpkins in all shapes and sizes, mums in every color imaginable, and I'm pretty sure you can still get yourself one of the best Tomato Pies in the world (in my opinion). Learn how to make a bird house from a gourd, do some shopping along the trails and enjoy the art on display from local artists.
- The Beaufort Ghost Walk - Take a spooky tour of Historic Beaufort and hear many of the ghost stories that haunt the area. See Blackbeard's house and wander through the Old Burying Grounds. But beware..... It is spooky! For rates, dates and details, visit their website at www.tourbeaufort.com/ghostwalk.
If those things aren't enough to keep you busy, There are many more wonderful things to do on the Crystal Coast of North Carolina in October....
Artists on Arendell - October 7
The Gordy MacAdams Speckled Trout Fishing Tournament beginning on October 22nd
Trick or Treat Under the Sea - October 26 - 27
Emerald Isle Halloween Carnival - October 28
Fright Night at the Maritime Museum - October 28th
Critters of the Night on October 29th in Harker's Island
The Newport Hootenanny Festival on October 31st